Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Jenny's Thoughts on Top 8

We really do have some great contestants this season. It kind of makes me realize how poor the talent was last season :0(. There were a few good people last year, but for the most part they were all just mediocre, in my opinion. I am definitely impressed with the contestants this year. Don't we have a great selection this year?
.
Michael Johns "Dream On" - First and foremost, the scarf has got to go! Other than that, I really enjoyed this performance. I absolutely love the song and I thought he did a great job with it. I understand what the judges mean about him not being a "rocker" dude, but I still think he had the voice for this song. He did a great job and I really liked it.
.
Syesha "(When You) Believe" - She is definitely lacking in the individuality department. I don't think contestants should sing songs that previous Idol winners have sung on the show. I think it's dorky. Syesha reminds me of Wayne Brady when she smiles - they have the same smile. I think she's gorgeous but this week I finally realized that I am sick of her. It's weird because I was a huge fan of hers at the start, but she doesn't seem as professional as most of the other contestants. Who is Syesha, really? Is she Whitney? Fantasia? Who?
.
Jason Castro "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" - I loved it. I thought he did a great job. He really seems to know who he is. I think he will be safe this week.
.
Kristy Lee Cook " Anyway" - She definitely needs to stick with the country songs because she does much better at them. I'm not necessarily a fan of hers, but I thought she sounded good this week. I think this is her best performance so far. She seemed really comfortable up there. Yes, it was pitchy in some places, but I thought she did a good job. I think she might be safe this week.

David Cook " Innocent" - Uh, not really sure what to say here. When I saw his jacket I thought, "Whoa, how did they get Michael Jackson to perform?" then I realized it was David Cook and I cringed. I am a fan of his, but I did not "get" this performance at all. I hated the way he sang the beginning of it and I thought it sounded like the cheesy 80s version of "We Are the World". I didn't like his facial hair and I think the "Give back" thing he wrote on his hand was kind of weird. It's too bad because I thought he was phenomenal the week he sang "Billie Jean". Let's hope the real David Cook is back next week.
.
Carly Smithson "The Show Much Go On" - It's weird that this week's theme was "Inspirational Songs" and she sings a song like she's mad at the whole world. Strange. Very strange. Once again, she does have a good voice and I think the make-over crew at American Idol is doing a great job with her. I didn't love the tight pants or the gold belt though but she is looking really pretty. All in all, this performance was good but not super-wow. She might be in trouble this week.
.
David Archuleta " Angels" - I loved that he sat at the piano to sing. I loved this performance and I especially loved when he got louder and more into the song. The runs at the end were fantastic. It was a strong performance and I think this puts him back in the running as the favorite to win it all.
.
Brooke White "You've Got a Friend" - Okay. Safe. Boring. I really like Brooke but she hasn't picked the best songs lately. She has seemed a little uncomfortable and out-of-sorts with some of her song choices. I want the Brooke back who knew who she was and was a strong, confident performer. I'm ready for these cheesy performances to go bye-bye. Let's go Brooke!
.
Bottom Three (if it were based on this week's performances ONLY): Syesha, David Cook, Carly.
.
Bottom Three (how I think America will vote): Syesha, Carly, Kristy Lee Cook. I honestly think Syesha might be going home. I obviously don't know for sure. Anything could happen!
.
Favorite performances of the week: Jason Castro and David Archuleta.
.
What are your predictions?

5 comments:

Christie said...

I must be really strange, because I really like listening to Syesha. I think she is wonderful! She has a very strong voice, and since this is a talent show... I really liked David Archuleta and Kristy Lee Cook, which is really strange for me because that never really happens for me, her performance gave me goose bumps. David Cook's performance was awful, but he took that REALLY hard. I think he's been hearing how wonderful he is so often that it kind of hit him that he is mortal. I liked Brooke, but I would have to say that she definitely wasn't one of the better ones of the evening, which makes me sad to say, and Michael Johns, I kind of cringed while he was singing, nothing near what that song deserves, and I would have to agree with the judges that his voice isn't meant for an aerosmith song...

Trent Megan and Kids said...

Ok Jenny I agreed with you on all but David Cook. I think that you have to like that style of music to appreciate how well he sung it. I'm curious to know what Daniel thought of it because it reminds me of Collective Soul. But I really enjoyed it. I LOVED Jason and David A performances. I thought it was funny when they panned the audience and a sign was held up saying David Lick you Lips. I thought tonight was good all around and that the judges are not making themselves clear when they say that isnt who you are. They need to define that!

Jenny said...

Let me just say that I do think Syesha is a good singer. I have loved listening to her voice. However, last week when I heard it was Dolly Parton theme I just knew that Syesha would pick "I Will Always Love You." I didn't like that it was so predictable. Then when she picked a Fantasia song this week I was kind of annoyed. She keeps picking these monstrous songs. I would rather have her pick a song that isn't so famous from the way it was sung by someone else, so that she can make it famous. For example, if you watched Season 1, when Tamyra Gray sang "A House is not a Home." It was awesome! I think Syesha has a great voice, but she needs to pick songs that show us who SHE is. No one will ever sing "I Will Always Love You" as good as Whitney - no one. And Syesha has to understand that when she sings songs like that of COURSE she is going to be compared to the original.

In short (yeah right!), I do think Syesha is a good singer, but right now I have no idea what kind of record she would make. Would she make a copy cat record of other star's versions of songs? That's where I'm disappointed in her.

I was also disappointed with Syesha's banter with the judges. Anytime a contestant does that, it is usually lands them in the bottom three.

Megan, I love the sound of Collective Soul, but I just didn't like the way David did the song he sung last night. I thought it was cheesy and I didn't think he sounded as good as he usually does.

I watched a funny video on YouTube that someone had made of David licking his lips. It was funny!

Sheri said...

The funny thing was, if you noticed after David A's performance, I really think he was making a totally conscious effort to not lick his lips. :) I do like Syesha. Maybe she's not picking the best songs. But she's picking the ones that she feels, I think. I thought Jason did really well, and David A as well. I did like Brooke's. I don't care that she didn't make it all different from the original. Sometimes, that can ruin a song. And for the rest, I was mostly pretty disappointed. Although I will admit that this was probably Kristy's best performance yet. If it was just the chorus, she would have been great. Still has a difficult time staying totally on key in the verses. Oh well.

Sheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.